Nintendo Online Gamers Stand… Un-unified!

Nintendo Online Gamers Stand… Un-unified!

by Mickey DeLorenzoMarch 15, 2007

Sad little Mii
The recent announcement that Nintendo will soon be implementing online game play via GameSpy’s online technology has been celebrated far and wide by Wii owners. Unfortunately the online system, which is set to be identical to the online game play system the DS enjoys will also possess its shortcoming, a lack of a unified friends list you can carry from game to game.

Originally Gamespy’s technology couldn’t support this feature but recently the developer announced the completion of a new middleware application that would enable it. The only problem is Nintendo has decided to pass on using this new feature. Instead they have chosen to stick with friends lists being game specific in the same way they are in DS online game play.

While this online game play system is set to be completely free just as it has been with the DS I still have to wonder why Nintendo is halting the release of perfectly good features on their systems and products. First Nintendo was limiting features on the Opera browser and now this. Is it to avoid having to pass costs on the consumers or something deeper?

Source: pro-g

• March 15, 2007 at 2:10 pm

I think we should wait for Nintendo’s official word on this. There are way too many articles on the net that are all sourcing the same ‘interview’ with Gamespy.

• March 15, 2007 at 2:10 pm

• March 15, 2007 at 7:10 am

• matthew
    March 15, 2007 at 2:11 pm

This is seriously terrible news.

Nintendo really needs to learn that sometimes it’s better to NOT do things your own way.

A huge letdown as far as wii’s online gaming goes for me.

• matthew
    March 15, 2007 at 7:11 am

This is seriously terrible news.

A huge letdown as far as wii’s online gaming goes for me.

• tHieu
    March 15, 2007 at 3:03 pm

Hopefuly they change their minds… please! >.

• tHieu
    March 15, 2007 at 8:03 am

Hopefuly they change their minds… please! >.

• matthew
    March 15, 2007 at 3:24 pm

It’s been confirmed from a few different sources now.

Definitely true.

I’d like to see what Reggie has to say about this.
    This really really sucks.

• matthew
    March 15, 2007 at 8:24 am

It’s been confirmed from a few different sources now.

Definitely true.

I’d like to see what Reggie has to say about this.
    This really really sucks.

• March 15, 2007 at 4:32 pm

TONS of the places that printed the article (and by the way, Matthew, all the ‘sources’ you mention are from the same GameSpy article, as is mentioned above by reefinyateef) have mentioned that they were too hasty, as the ORIGINAL SOURCE says that each game will have seperate FRIEND —-LISTS—- not, codes. DAMMIT, PEOPLE! Sony probably paid for this to be misunderstood.

• March 15, 2007 at 9:32 am

• Destructo
    March 15, 2007 at 7:05 pm

Interesting.

I didn’t even know I HAD a friends list. :) The Wii online network really is horrible.

• Destructo
    March 15, 2007 at 12:05 pm

Interesting.

• March 15, 2007 at 7:08 pm

well if you don’t know you have a friend’s list you just have never clicked on your message board. or perhaps you cannot read. I dursen’t complain about not being familiar with the most basic features of your console. It didn’t take me long or any special credentials to have my cell phone, e-mail, friend’s wii’s and important contacts all added to my friend’s list, and having an extra text-messaging/e-mailing interface is something I appreciate, in addition to the ease at which I can communicate with my wii-owning friends.

• March 15, 2007 at 12:08 pm

• March 15, 2007 at 8:26 pm

They should make it so that when we connect Wifi and enter a Random multiplayer room, you can request a user to add as friend. When you log off and enter the message board, you’ll find a new message saying something like, “METROIDFAN113 from Metroid Prime 3 has requested a Friend add!” Then you can choose to Accept or Deny.

It’s that simple, very much the same as you see in most MMOs such as Gunbound to be specific. Though MMORPGs like Ragnarok Online or Maple Story have a different way, but I’d prefer the one on Gunbound.

• March 15, 2007 at 8:26 pm

• March 15, 2007 at 1:26 pm

• March 15, 2007 at 8:29 pm

You know what, scratch that. I want to see everything to be synced with the My.Nintendo accounts. That way it’ll attract more users to the Nintendo.com website. Not to mention it’s already gotten popular within the last year.
    Imagine with a click of a button to request a Friend add; Very similar to the feature @ http://www.MiiPlaza.net

• March 15, 2007 at 8:29 pm

• March 15, 2007 at 1:29 pm

• :lamb:
    March 18, 2007 at 1:12 pm

I’m enraged… just wtf is Nintendo doing… A chance to surpass Xbox Live? “nah well pass”.. Just great im starting to regret buying a Wii…

• :lamb: