Nintendo Wii Opera Browser: New Features Revealed!
Ã‚Â UPDATE: Wii.com has released more info, screenshots, and video.
View the new pics and video: us.wii.com
The Wii Opera browser has been getting relatively positive reaction from the masses, but thereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a lot of features that would make the surfing experience so much easier. It appears that our input has been listened to, and thereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a few extra tweaks coming in the final version due out in April.
Details from Nintendo:
Since late December, Wii owners have been able to download a trial version of the Opera Internet browser. After receiving substantial and helpful feedback from consumers, friends and family members, Nintendo developers have made a number of improvements to the final version of the browser, including:
- Improved zooming and scrolling
- An improved zoomed font
- Shortened startup times
- Quicker access to Ã¢â‚¬Å“favoritesÃ¢â‚¬?
- An ability to hide the toolbar
- Buttons that will instantly type common preset letters, such as Ã¢â‚¬Å“wwwÃ¢â‚¬? or Ã¢â‚¬Å“.comÃ¢â‚¬?
More details about these and other functions will be announced in the near future. To ensure that the browser incorporates all of these enhancements, the final version will be available for download in April, a few weeks later than previously announced. The browser will remain free for Wii owners to download through the end of June. After June, users who havenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t already downloaded the Opera browser can go to the Wii Shop Channel to download it for 500 Wii Points.
There are some other issues I’m crossing my fingers for to be released in this version or one soon after:
- Flash 8 support (I built WiiFii.net all in 8 and had to basically scrap it until it’s supported)
- USB Keyboard
- Built-in Tabbed browsing (I’m aware of the sites that will mimic this)