(1989) Total Panic show on Nickelodeon – GameBoy Preview
Sorry for the horrible quality of this video, the tape has been sitting in a box since 1989. The dropped frames (grey frames) are a result of my VCR, what you see is what you get. It’s still a great watch.
This particular video segment I uploaded above was a video game preview/review of some of the hottest “Next Gen” consoles of the day, Turbo Graphx 16, Sega Genesis, Atari Linx, and the GameBoy. Andy Eddy from Video Games & Computer Entertainment Magazine was on to give us a first look at all of the newest handhelds and consoles.
I recently dug up the VHS tape I used to record the show off of the TV back when it aired in ’89. I remember driving into NYC (from New Jersey) with all of my neighborhood friends, we thought we were so cool because we saw the GameBoy before anyone else in school. Everyone in my grade in school watched the show, so that Monday at school we were like celebrities.
At 5:00 in the video you’ll see me raising my hand, eagerly, to have a chance to play the Genesis:
There were some killer quotes during all that 1989 video game talk:
– “We can get a really long cord and play across town!”
– “In color? ohhh, wow!”
– “The graphics are like a painting”
– “They take an actual voice and record it then turn it into a computer program”
– “A modem is connection between two computer over a telephone.”
– “Arcade quality games, in your home!”
– “You’d both be able to play the baseball game across town, that would be wild!”
– “The name “Nintendo” is familiar to everybody who plays video games”
– “What do you like about the Genesis? The controller is lighter and the graphics are better”
– “The GameBoy actually has a built in headphone jack where you can listen in STEREO!”
The segment directly after this one (not in the video) they brought out animals that were from the Wild Safari at Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ. They brought out a baby Llama and had people in the audience suggest names that they would officially name the Llama at the park. I had my hand raised the whole time and finally I got the hosts’ attention, I suggested “Spikey” and they voted and I won. So, if you see a 18 year old Llama at Six Flags say wut up.
Discuss more in our FORUMS