Apparently, Gates hasn’t seen a Wiimote yet…

Apparently, Gates hasn’t seen a Wiimote yet…

by Bradley DeLorenzoJune 4, 2007

wii60

Microsoft chairman Bill Gates has offered further hints at the direction Microsoft’s gaming division is taking, and if his comments at last week’s All Things D conference are anything to go by, Gates wants to outdo Nintendo’s Wii.

“Software is doing vision and so, you know, imagine a game machine where you’re just going to pick up the bat and swing it or the tennis racket and swing it”, he said.

A bit like Wii then, Bill? “No, that’s not it. You can’t pick up your tennis racket. And swing it.” Oh, right.

Earlier this year Xbox boss Peter Moore hinted that Wii-like motion controls might be in the Xbox’s future. “We have plans. This does not come as a surprise”, he said.

Frankly, we’re quite happy with our bog-standard 360 controllers as they are, but with these increasingly common comments considered, E3 could just be the place where we see Microsoft shake things up.

Via CVG

Discuss this in our Forums

Bradley DeLorenzo
  • 30CenturyMan
    June 5, 2007 at 1:43 am

To be fair, you never actually get to pick up the racket in Wii Sports. I for one look forward to this exciting new equipment picking-up technology!

• 30CenturyMan
    June 4, 2007 at 8:43 pm

• :lamb:
    June 5, 2007 at 2:30 am

lol… this story cracked me up. 🙂 being an anti-microsoftian i just love their plans to conquer the world… Bill is funny

• :lamb:
    June 5, 2007 at 7:30 am

• Sanic3
    June 5, 2007 at 8:51 am

I hate how every company is trying to copy the Nintendo Wii, just because it has sold better. Sony released their Six-Axis controller just to copy the Wii. Now Microsoft wants to copy Wii too!

• Sanic3
    June 5, 2007 at 3:51 am

• Ben
    June 5, 2007 at 2:27 pm

Hopefully nintendo’s next gen console will have something even better than motion sensing and it will leave microsoft ans sony in the dust

• Ben
    June 5, 2007 at 9:27 am

• Will
    June 5, 2007 at 11:55 pm

Interesting we are having these conversations at the beginning of a heated console war. I frankly don’t care what Microsoft has planned because I don’t own any of their consoles. Let’s talk about the content coming to the Wii, especially exclusives, that will sink the competition. These comments are just as wacky as the ones I heard Steve Jobs and Gates double teaming when asked about their Google fears. I think the gang has been smoking something with these ignorant comments. Further, what does Bill Gates know or have anything to do with video games? I wish Microsoft would stick to what sent them to the top and strengthen their positions there. I mean doesn’t have representation for his gaming unit?

• Will
    June 5, 2007 at 6:55 pm

• yesbob
    June 6, 2007 at 9:35 am

definitely there is a bit of a copycat game going on. i haven’t seen the sixaxis controller but it’s pretty conclusive that it’s also a knockoff. however, it should be remembered that playstation already had the eyetoy, though i don’t believe it was a first-party product, and, based on old bill’s statement, literally picking up a household tennis racket is more remniscent of the eyetoy’s motion-sensing capabilities.

that aside, imagine swinging a real racket into your plasma tv or girlfriend.

• yesbob
    June 6, 2007 at 4:35 am

that aside, imagine swinging a real racket into your plasma tv or girlfriend.