Technically, the footage is from the Japanese import “Super Mario Stadium Family Baseball”. It is part of the Mario sports series, and the sequel to Mario Superstar Baseball of the Nintendo GameCube.
At any rate this is the first extended footage online, so do enjoy. I really enjoyed this game and plan to type up more in depth impressions tomorrow morning. I really wish I understood Japanese, because there were a few modes that just left me clueless.
The first thing people may notice from the video and also from boxart images, is that there doesn’t appear to be WiFi in this Japanese release (unless my inability to read Japanese made it difficult to find…). At any rate we’re still a month or more from the US/Europe/Australia release of the game and we could see WiFi when localization begins. *crosses fingers*
The Main Menu offers 6 modes, roughly translated you have Quick Play, Story/Adventure, Cup mode (mushroom/flower/star/special, just like Mario Kart), Toy/mini game mode, practice mode, and league/championship mode. I go through each of these modes in the video to give you a better feel for what each one has in store.
You can watch the video see how it looks:
– You can choose between 12 captains (2:42)
– 40 characters to choose from + Mii’s (2:52)
– Customize your playing field based on players skills (3:01)
– Each character has a special swing *Luigi’s Tornado* (14:30)
– Rival matches, when the two captains are head to head (14:50)
– Swing Wiimote just like a bat (though not 1/1 like Wii Sports)
– “Z” to bunt
– Flick Wiimote backwards before the pitch to power up swing
– Flick Wiimote backwards before the pitch and hold A/B to get special swing
– Nunchuk to move around the batting box
* Mario Stadium
* Peach Rink
* Wario City
* Yoshi Park
* DK Jungle
* Bowser Jr.
* Daisy Cruiser
* Luigi’s Mansion
* Toy Field
* Donkey Kong
* Diddy Kong
* Dixie Kong
* Bowser Jr.
* Baby Mario
* Baby Luigi
* Koopa Troopa
* King Boo
* Dry Bones
* Monty Mole
* Petey Piranha
* Shy Guy
* Hammer Bro.
* Baby Peach
* Baby Daisy
* Baby Donkey Kong
* Tiny Kong
* Funky Kong
* King K. Rool
Mario Super Sluggers should be out in the US on August 25th, both Europe and Australia are still TBA…