My Japanese Coach and My Chinese Coach coming soon?

My Japanese Coach and My Chinese Coach coming soon?

by Hassan AhmedJuly 8, 2008

Ubisoft has already released three titles to help you learn various languages: My Word Coach, My French Coach, and My Spanish Coach. None of those really appeal to me much, though My Spanish Coach could help when I take Spanish in college since I’ve forgotten most of it. The thing about those games is that those languages have helping tools all over the place. There are so many resources to help you learn those languages. The one language that I’m interested in learning though is much harder to find a source to learn it from, and that’s Japanese. Well, it seems the ESRB has rated My Japanese Coach, which is pretty good evidence that it exists.

And on top of that, GameFly has a listing for it with a September 18th release date. And to those that want to learn Chinese, GameFly also has a listing for My Chinese Coach, with a release date of August 28th. While the release dates may not be final, I think it’s safe to say that both of these games are real. For once, Ubisoft may actually be making a casual title that I’m interested in.

[Via DS Fanboy]

Hassan Ahmed
In June 2008, Hassan was offered a position at NintendoFuse, and he accepted it right away. He is a big Nintendo fan, and has owned every handheld since the Game Boy Color and every console since the Nintendo 64. Hassan's philosophy is very simple: "fun". He plays video games to escape from life for a while and just relax and enjoy. As a blogger, Hassan's focus is to provide the most detailed news articles and hands-on impressions that you will find anywhere. The more information that he can provide to the fans and readers, the better. And to further expand on his philosophy of fun and his detail-oriented goal, Hassan started up the NintendoFuse Podcast in September of 2009. Hassan has been blogging for NintendoFuse since June 2008, and he enjoys being a part of this wonderful community. He hopes to provide you with the latest and greatest Nintendo news and rumors, as well as hands-on impressions, with as much detail as possible to benefit the fans and readers.
  • Surgical Precision
    July 8, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Though I’m far more interested in Written Japanese then I am Vocal…

And I SERIOUSLY have my doubts that this thing well help me out with that… Even though I’m only looking for the modern stuff they use for the internet & video games & such…

Not the complete stuff which for an english reader is nearly impossible to comprehend without going insane!

• MegaOmegaMegaZetta
    July 8, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Fantastic more productivity software, go companies for bringing us more things that are not really games!!!

Time for me to be glad that I invested the same price it would take to take a Japanese class in school, only to have it offered to me in shorter content and handibility in a smaller package!!!

• TheToad
    July 9, 2008 at 4:15 am

I sort of doubt this game will compare to taking a Japanese class (at least at university level)… I have been studying Japanese a year now, and going to Japan to study after the summer… I will be getting the Chinese version however, and I hope they make more games of Asian languages – like Korean and Thai. If the Japanese version is good for reviewing kanji, I might get that as well (and am now going to order MFC – maybe I’ll remember something of the 5 years I studied french – it’s all gone now…)

• demetri
    July 9, 2008 at 8:17 am

Maybe i’ll finally understand what Koda Kumi is saying!

• da man
    July 26, 2008 at 8:20 pm

then i can play japanese games

• masshuu
    July 27, 2008 at 12:13 pm

this will be great at lest i will be able to under stand japanese. thats good for a big naruto fan

• 真
    August 24, 2008 at 5:50 pm

I have studied Japanese for two years at college and have a ton of Japanese friends, I think this title will be good for beginners but its probably not gonna be the miracle learning system alot of people think its going to be. Nothing will beat full immersion into the country and second best is having native speakers around you, also a big disappointment to anime, manga, and other Japanese pop culture lovers, you probably wont learn much of the slang, very casual, and altered words that make real understanding of that side of the language possible. Still think Im gonna pick up the Chinese coach and can’t wait for a Korean version, for everyone looking into it, 頑張ってくださいね*笑*

• g
    September 9, 2008 at 10:30 pm

how about my Korean coach?

• Donovan
    September 14, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Yes PLEASE make My Korean coach

• Kit
    September 30, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Really glad to see that they are making it for the Japanese language as well. My only real concern is if it goes through at least some of the basic grammer in the language.

• October 12, 2008 at 8:04 am

with past my coach games, i can safely say that my jap coach won’t be TOO much of a dissapointment, and hopefully can incorporate at least some of the basic principles required to speak japanese. However, i don’t think this game will dig deep enough, and if it copies the whole ‘practice you writing’ option from my chinese coach, then it won’t really be very competent as a learning tool in my eyes. To be able to understand games and manga, you need to be able to read and understand, and that isn’t really something you can stuff into a handheld game. Hopefully, it will provide some basic vocabulary, but if that is all it has to offer, along wih some memorizable ‘helpful’ phrases, then it will be a major dissappointment. I wonder about the grammar content, because in the past ‘my coach’ games, the minigames and basically most of the whole game focus on vocabulary, but we’ll see. Just hope it will be good!~

• Mauro
    October 16, 2008 at 2:41 pm

please make My Korean coach!!!

• XaiZhun
    October 27, 2008 at 4:10 pm

I agree with everyone who wants the My Korean Coach…I have both the My Japanese and My Chinese Coach games and love both…I’ve been most eager to learn Korean though but it’s hard when you don’t have anyone to learn the language from and you have to rely on various books

My Korean Coach 화이딩~! ㅅ_ㅅ

• SirVenom
    October 27, 2008 at 8:03 pm

So, what are your opinions on MJC? I want to get it, since it would be more motivating than plain old independent study. Do they actually help learn, or do they more just set in stone what you already know?

• Emoni
    November 11, 2008 at 5:53 am

Yes, PLEASE make a My Korean Coach! Both Japanese and Chinese are done very well and I would LOVE to start on Korean as well! Pleeeeease! These products are great!

• phreshest
    December 15, 2008 at 5:13 pm

That would be the most awesomess thing in the world if they have a my korean coach. Please make one, cant wait!!!!!!!!!!

• goforit
    April 9, 2009 at 6:41 am

Does anyone know if Nintendo have any plans of making My Korean Coach for DS? I really wish they have. Thanks.

• englishinkorea
    June 23, 2009 at 11:43 pm

So any news on Korean coach? They should definitely make it. I’m teaching english in Korea and so are HUNDREDS of other people. It would be REALLY helpful!

• nhinaa
    July 6, 2009 at 8:13 pm

• turtlegirl
    July 11, 2009 at 7:31 pm

I just bought my japanese coach, it is great, I would definitely definitely buy my korean coach if/when they make it!! would be so awesome!

• koreanfanatic
    August 17, 2009 at 4:51 am

My koren coach ftw! :p

• koreanfanatic
    August 17, 2009 at 4:54 am

Oops… forgot to say why :p
    Well, learning korean from wikipedia is not the easiest thing ever, though i know the alphabet already and some greetings, so MKC would be really great. I’m sure it will put lots of cash into Ubisoft’s bank in Asia and Australia, as lots of asians now are CRAZY about Korea… 😀

• Pascale
    December 8, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Hi there,

I purchased My Japanese Coach on Nintendo DS a while ago. I believe this is an awesome game and it really helped me a bunch.

However, I think that it is a bit difficult for learning hiraganas and katakanas since they appear so small on the DS Screen.

A Wii version would be really interesting as we could see the symbols better TV screen. I am a buyer, please release it soon!!

• sheruri
    August 29, 2010 at 3:18 pm

thx for my japanese coach but after i finish japanese i want lo learn korean PLAESE make my korean coach i would buy it !!!!!