Storage Solution, Where are You?

Storage Solution, Where are You?

by Steve CullumNovember 8, 2008

This is more of a rant than anything else. I recently purchased Guitar Hero World Tour. As I get ready to start the game, it tells me I don’t have enough memory to create a save spot. I know many of you probably have a similar situation. However, let me share something with you. I do not even have 2 pages of my Wii menu filled yet (see below), and my memory is already filled.

I have taken saves from games I do not own or play much, and put them on my SD card, but that still did not leave me with enough room. So, I had to copy one of my VC games (87 blocks) to SD. Now, after the Guitar Hero save file, I have 84 blocks open.

Originally, I never thought I would have this problem. I thought it would be an issue for those who download lots of VC and WiiWare games, but it looks like the storage problem bug has gotten me as well. In conclusion, I cannot wait until Nintendo finally releases this so-called “solution.” Granted, as of right now, I’m not sure how much of a solution it will be, but I’m open to anything that will help at the current time. If I cannot even fill 2 pages worth of games/saves without running out of memory, that’s a problem. Generally, I do not have many things to gripe about with Nintendo. I even accept their Friend Code system, albeit it definitely has its flaws. But this is something I cannot overlook. Not to mention, it takes forever for you to copy a game from the Wii system memory to SD card.

Profile photo of Steve Cullum
Steve Cullum
Steve is a Senior Editor for NintendoFuse. He has been a Nintendo fan since the NES and Game Boy. His favorite types of games are action platformers, multiplayer “party” games, and any game that is pure fun and pulls him in for hours. Steve has been blogging for NintendoFuse since 2008.
  • Harry
    November 8, 2008 at 5:54 am

ARGH! Why wont Nintendo just support fricking USB sticks!! I have a USB memory stick 10times the memory of the Wii. That can encrypt the files cant they? When you put it on an SD card at try to put it on another Wii it doesnt work?

Do it! The Wii has USB ports in the back!! If Homebrew can get USB sticks working for storage (Media players and Emulators support USB) YOU CAN TOO!!

And thats my mini rant

• November 8, 2008 at 9:32 am

Things like the Wii Fit channel and I’m guessing the WiiWare titles take up a lot of room. I’ve got about 2 and a half pages, but I have less WiiWare and more VC;
    (Super Mario 123+world, Sonic 123, DKC 1&2, Mega Man 129, Bomberman’93, Secret of Mana, Defend your Castle, Metroid, Kirby, Yoshi, Link to the Past, and Ocarina)

I’d be in the same boat too but I sold Wii Fit and deleted the channel and moved Ocarina to the SD card. I’ve been debating deleting the Mario Kart channel, but at the moment I’m back to a hefty 400+.

Unfortunately, I’m one of the one’s Nintendo sees as a reason to not worry about the storage solution. I’m right on that line of “i can make it work” and “WTF big N?!?”. Maybe I should just delete the Nintendo Channel and “stick to the man” as it were. I mean, I think that one takes up over 100 blocks to benefit them more than me as I don’t use it much.

• nitro_rev
    November 8, 2008 at 2:24 pm

you guys said that you copied your vc/wiiware games to an sd card. I tried this but it doesn’t stay on the wii menu, so I just delete them and if I need to, I just go back to the wii shop and redownload it for free. (You did know you could do that right?)

• DarakuTenshi
    November 8, 2008 at 8:15 pm

Yeah Gewurztraminer that’s what I did. I got rid of the Nintendo Chanel. And a few of those other useless ones like Weather, News, Vote, Mii (the one where you show off your Miis but I can’t remember the name of it). Most of that stuff is pointless just like the Wii Fit channel. Save room on board and just put your disc in when you want to do your weigh in.

• November 9, 2008 at 2:27 pm

@nitro_rev – I’m aware of that, and I know it’s one of Nintendo’s favorite sayings to fall back on, but in the off chance I don’t have an internet connection I’d rather have it on SD.

@DarakuTenshi – I’d miss the Weather one too much. Granted, it’s extremely limited and I’d love to see an update one of these days, but I’m a sucker for weather news and will often watch the actual weather channel on cable for general background noise.

@myself – I forgot ToeJam & Earl =]

• Krisihna
    November 9, 2008 at 6:40 pm

@ Gewurtztraimer (or what ever:P)

You say you dont have internet connection (on the WIi?) But you can watch the weather channel (on the wii)??? That is not possible my friend. You need an internet connection to get into the weather channel….at least here in Europe…or else you wont get nothing to see…let alone the updates.

• November 9, 2008 at 9:05 pm

No, I said, “in the off chance I don’t have an internet connection”.

I’ve taken the Wii on trips before and wi-fi is not everywhere. yet.

• stinky
    November 10, 2008 at 2:26 am

I’m so lame that I haven’t even removed the Metroid Prime 3 channel. It’s useless now, but on the other hand you can’t re-download it.

The Wii Fit channel isn’t worthless at all. It’s great being able to do the body test without having to deal with a disc. I did the body test every day for over five months and I wouldn’t have done so if I had had to deal with a disc.