As I get ready to celebrate Thanksgiving today with some friends, I was reminded of all the holidays I’ve spent playing video games with family after a big meal. Christmas, of course, was the big one because we’d play all the new games we just received. Other than football, I also remember playing lots of games on Thanksgiving. It’s is a great time for families, and with the Wii expanding their audience every day, I’m sure there are some games even your great aunt Bessy would enjoy. So, here’s my “Top 5 Wii Family Games for Thanksgiving 2008.”
5. Game Party – I know what you are thinking, but give it a chance. I honestly have many hours with friends and family playing this game. You get to choose from darts, shuffleboard, basketball, ski ball, trivia, and air hockey. It’s easy to learn. And to top it off, it’s only $20 (or less). Give it a chance for aunt Bessy’s sake.
4. Tetris Party – Maybe your family is different than mine, but I remember spending hours playing Tetris on my Game Boy with my parents when I was younger, and I’m serious about hours. We’d compete to see who could get the high score. This was often the way we passed time during long car rides. With this recent WiiWare addition, you can not only play 4 players locally, you can enjoy this game with family who couldn’t make it for this year’s Thanksgiving by playing online.
3. Guitar Hero World Tour (or Rock Band) - Both games have broadened the music game genre to 4 players, letting everyone in. Even if you don’t feel comfortable playing guitar, you can sing along karaoke-style or beat on the drums. With a host of songs ranging from oldies to modern hits, you’re sure to find music everyone enjoys.
2. Mario Kart Wii – This is another online game that will pit you against 11 other friends and family members who couldn’t make it this year. If online multiplayer isn’t your thing, that’s ok, because the 4-player local multiplayer is plenty to keep people busy. I remember spending several hours playing Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash with my family. The next installment is here, and better than ever.
1. Wii Sports – Yeah, you probably knew this would top the list. It’s probably one of the only games everyone in your family knows. They’ve seen it on the commercials, many have already played it (either on their own consoles or in a store), and they are very interested. It’s easy to pick up and play. With 5 sports to choose from, everyone will find their niche. Tennis and bowling are the top go-to games for my family. Be sure to bring your wrist straps and remote gloves, though, as aunt Bessy might get a little too into it.
Well, those are my Top 5. There are many others that warrant a quick word, though. Wario Ware, Super Smash Bros., Rayman Raving Rabbids, Super Monkey Ball, Madden, Bomberman, and Family Game Night are just a few.
What are your favorite games to play with your family? What’s the game that gets aunt Bessy excited every time you bring it out? What gets everyone to stop saying, “I wish you’d put those games away,” to “When can I play?”