Reggie Interested in Localizing Mother 3

Reggie Interested in Localizing Mother 3

by Steve CullumApril 2, 2009

As of right now, all we have is the imported Japanese version and a not-entirely-legal fan translation of Mother 3.  However, according to the latest MTV Multiplayer interview with the big man himself, Reggie is a “big fan” and has actually talked with Mr. Iwata about getting Mother 3 localized in the USA.  No word if it will happen or not, but we at least know it is being talked about.

I’m a big “Mother” fan. I have to set the record straight on this topic, because I have seen all of the hate comments. I’m a big “Mother” fan. Huge “Mother” fan. I would love to see “Mother” localized in our market. In fact, I’ve talked to [Nintendo president] Mr. Iwata about it because this is a game he has some history with. [pauses] But it is not on our announcement schedule. [laughs]

For the full interview, click here.

Steve Cullum
Steve is a Senior Editor for NintendoFuse. He has been a Nintendo fan since the NES and Game Boy. His favorite types of games are action platformers, multiplayer “party” games, and any game that is pure fun and pulls him in for hours. Steve has been blogging for NintendoFuse since 2008.
  • Thor
    April 2, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Well hopefully they do. I’ve got my English strategy guide for it so I’ll be set if and when they do it.

• April 2, 2009 at 1:22 pm

I just got done playing through’s fan translation of it. It’s a pretty good game….I felt it was lacking in some areas.
    What they need to do is just re-release it on the VC along with Mother 1, and Earthbound (mother 2).
    I mean, why couldn’t they release GBA games on the VC? They’re practically the same as SNES games.

• April 2, 2009 at 1:38 pm

jessezojo – if they do localize it, i’m sure it’ll be for the VC. about GBA, there are a lot of rumors going around about the DSi having a VC of GB and GBC games at least.

• Melvin
    April 2, 2009 at 4:43 pm

They should bring the whole Mother series on DSi/Wii.

• April 2, 2009 at 5:06 pm

I wouldn’t say it would be for sure about the VC. There’s always the rumar about the Mother Trilogy on one DS card.

• April 2, 2009 at 7:54 pm

@ jessezojo – I guess that is true.

• April 3, 2009 at 10:00 am

My theory is that GB and GBA games will be released through the upcoming DSWare store, similar to Wii’s VC. Why else would they have completely ignored it? It especially makes sense to do now that they’re fazing out the GBA slot on the DS.