Nintendo/Ubisoft Wii U Developer Roundtable Info
So the joint Nintendo and Ubisoft Developer Roundtable just happened.. Satoru Iwata, President of Nintendo, introduced Yves Guillemot, President of Ubisoft. The two said they worked closely together on Wii U. Below are the significant details revealed today…
- Ubisoft has 5 Wii U games on the way: Raving Rabbids, an Assassin’s Creed title, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Online, a new multi-sport brand, and a new title named Killer Freaks.
- Ghost Recon Online features “always on” online services. It will have a personalized account system, creation as seamless as possible, flexible friends list, ranking, matchmaking, parental controls, ban list, etc. The game will also feature a “Ghost Feed”, which means that even if you’re not using the TV, you can get a feed of info on your Wii U controller that will track how your friends are doing, their achievements, as well as your own. You can schedule a match with other players while you’re watching a TV show.
- Wii U controller in Ghost Recon Online used to arm weapons, voice chat through the built-in microphone, mini-map on screen, used for intel gathering and action commands, can control a missile through the gyroscope, etc.
- In a live multiplayer demo of Ghost Recon Online, they used two Wii U systems with one Wii U controller on each, so that’s further proof of one Wii U controller per system only.
- Killer Freaks from Outer Space is a Wii U exclusive in the FPS genre from Ubisoft Montpellier.
- Ubisoft trying to “redefine” competitive multiplayer in FPS titles with Killer Freaks.
- Killer Freaks’ controls: Move the Wii U controller to aim, use the Circle Pads to move the character. For example, if you look down at the floor in real life with the Wii U controller, you’ll look down on the floor in the game. Developers mention how the gyroscope + accelerometer + dual Circle Pads together redefine shooters.
- Another control scheme for Killer Freaks: 1 vs. 1 play on one Wii U console, one person uses the Wii U controller, another uses the Classic Controller Pro. Shooter vs. Strategy. Classic Controller Pro player sees a FPS, while the Wii U controller player sees an overhead view of the level, which can be scrolled around. Wii U controller players tries to destroy the Classic Controller Pro player by spawning enemies by tapping on his screen, and they spawn in the FPS view for the Classic Controller Pro player.
- Final game shown is Assassin’s Creed for Wii U. They are expanding the franchise, and adding new features. Powerful multi-core architecture and large memory capactiy of Wii U is helpful for the devs. All graphical shaders are fully functional on Wii U, can re-use assets across all platforms.
- Prototyping many things for Wii U controller for Assassin’s Creed: persistent on-screen map, interactive database, fast weapon selection, alternative puzzles, eagle vision or sense, etc.
- A dedicated team in Quebec is working on this title, unclear if it’s a new title, re-make, or a port. Ends with an image of Ezio and the words “Thank You”, so not sure if that’s related or not.
- Q&A time: first question is whether this Assassin’s Creed Wii U title is new or a port. Ubisoft says they’re not ready to announce specifics, but it will be the best Assassin’s Creed experience they can bring to consoles.
- Are two Wii U controllers are possible on one Wii U system? Ubisoft says that’s not for them to discuss.
- Are friends list or accounts are system-wide or for Ghost Recon Online only? Ubisoft says that’s up to Nintendo to reveal. They want those features for the game, it’s Nintendo’s call if it’s system-wide.
- Will data be secure in the Ghost Feed in Ghost Recon Online? They say they have a lot of time to make it secure, they’ll make sure it’s taken care of.
- Another question asks about Ghost Recon Online and if it has cross-platform play between Wii U and PC. At this time, all they can say is it’s for Wii U only.
- Ghost Recon Online is free to play online on PC, will it be free to play online on Wii U? Still working with Nintendo on this, more news to come.
- Asked about power of Wii U compared to other consoles. Ubisoft says it’s too early to tell, still learning hardware and the hardware is still evolving. Dev kits are not final. They’ve worked with other engines for a long time, so they need time to get used to the hardware.
- Ubisoft notes that what they’ve shown is what they got prepared quickly. They have a lot more prototypes in the works, but only showed what was key tonight.
- Someone asks if Ghost Recon Online can alert you of an event, like can it ping you if something is happening, like a phone beeping? Developer says that’s a good idea and is taking a note of that.
- Killer Freaks will have online play by the way.
- Asked about the range of the Wii U controller. Ubisoft says they’re still working from dev kits, not sure how far it can go.
- And that’s it, it’s over.
- Killer Freaks website with screens of the early build is up by the way: http://www.alien-conspiracy.com/index2.html