REVIEW – Bomb Monkey
A review by Jeremy Hardin
Developer/Publisher – Renegade Kid
Version – 3DS eShop
Time Spent Playing – 2 hours
Price – $4.99
Obtained – Review Copy courtesy of Renegade Kid
Blok Bombing is a fine and ancient sport invented by a small and creative troop of primates, called Bomb Monkeys. The goal is simple: do not allow the bloks rising from the jungle floor to reach dangerous heights and knock you from your perch.
With an endless supply of bloks and a steady stream of bombs, you can partake in this legendary sport anytime you have a spare moment. Young Bomb Monkeys will learn patience and strategy. Older Bomb Monkeys will sharpen their wits. And, every Bomb Monkey will have a blast!
- Endless – How far can you go?
- 2P Versus – Who will be the last monkey standing?
- 2P Co-Op – Everyone is a winner this time!Since Bomb Monkey is played with the 3DS on its side, you are able to play 2 player co-op with one person using the d-pad and bottom screen and the other player using the face buttons and top screen. I was unable to try this mode out yet, but I’m sure it will be a lot of fun when I do.
- Rescue – Bomb that cage! – You must free your caged companion by bombing their cage, which is stuck down below with all the bloks. I believe it takes 50 hits to rescue your friend.
- 3 Minutes – For when you only have 3 minutes!
- Numbers – It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3.
This mode consists of you blowing up numbers in the correct order while clearing out bloks.
Visuals and Sound
The visuals and sounds are equally simple and enjoyable. Troupe Gammage returns to provide a couple catchy tunes to enjoy while bombing to your hearts content. The only thing I think the visuals could have done better was to include some themed background on the top screen, as well as the bottom screen. Quite possibly, the background would change as you progress. I also noticed a great idea on another review of Bomb Monkey, to change the music to something more frantic as your screen filled with bloks.
Concluding Overall Impressions
Touting an explosive new twist on the block puzzle genre, Bomb Monkey offers you a challenging, energetic, fun, hard to put down gaming experience that will keep you busy for a long time. So c’mon my fellow North American readers, let’s ‘blow up’ the eShop with a slew of downloads for Bomb Monkey!