Wii U Pre-orders Sellout Nationwide

Wii U Pre-orders Sellout Nationwide

by Bradley DeLorenzoSeptember 18, 2012

The Nintendo Wii U is expected to launch on November 18, 2012, but many online retailers have already halted pre-orders for the Wii U Deluxe.

I spent all day yesterday trying to track down any remaining Wii U Deluxe consoles still floating around the Philadelphia area. I’ve gotten lucky in the past finding a clueless employee or finding a smaller video game shop that most people over look. However, I was not so lucky this time… After physically driving all around the Philadelphia area (even in NJ) I was denied left and right. The closest I got was a Best Buy in NJ who started to ring me up in the gaming department, they took my bonus card, they rang up a Wii U Deluxe and just as he was about to ask me my payment method he said “Oh, we’re not allowed to pre-order these anymore”… So close. After driving to two GameStop’s, two Best Buy’s, Walmart, and a Toys r Us I went home and started working the phones. I called every outlet possible and was completely denied.

I was reading some rumor/opinions about the pre-order sellout from gamers on Reddit and there’s a strong majority who think it’s possible Nintendo will re-open the pre-order seeing how quickly this round went. The basic argument is that they were testing the waters and since the demand was REALLY high, they will bump up production for launch day and re-open pre-orders… It’s a chance, keep your eyes pealed.

The Wii U basic model is still available for pre-order at Gamestop stores and on their website.

Have any pre-order stories? Where you able to get one after September 16th, how? Tell us in the comments below.

Bradley DeLorenzo
  • September 18, 2012 at 9:36 am

it’s possible Nintendo will re-open the pre-order seeing how quickly this round went. The basic argument is that they were testing the waters and since the demand was REALLY high, they will bump up production for launch day and re-open pre-orders ”

My hopes are mid-level and my eyes are peeled! Thanks for the news!

• BrianHanifin
    September 18, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I went to Toys R Us on the morning right after the announcement, and although their website was taking preorders on the Deluxe package the stores were not. I brought in a printout of the website order page and the manager said sorry, the computer won’t let us sell it yet, come back tomorrow.

• September 18, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I just don’t understand why the stores do this. So did you end up reserving one? If so, which?

• BrianHanifin
        September 18, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I went back the next day and reserved the Deluxe. I figured why not get the Deluxe. I played Nintendo Land with my 6 year old son at a Wii U preview event so I was going to buy that game anyway. Plus 32gb vs 8gb storage. It was an easy choice for me.

• September 19, 2012 at 8:03 am

That’s cool. I agree about the Deluxe. I already have a hard drive that I use to play my Wii games from, so I can use it for the Wii U. However, there isn’t too much space left on it, so I would want the 32GB of memory over the 8GB. As for Nintendo Land, I wasn’t so interested at first, but after last week’s event, I am now thinking it’ll be a good game.

• Steve
    September 20, 2012 at 11:37 am

I had the same experience at Best Buy!
    I wish I would have pre-ordered when I first asked at GameStop, but I didn’t, because I was waiting to go to the other non-mall store. Should have done it anyway… Oh well…

• September 20, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I just got a Deluxe Edition at Toys R Us yesterday (9/19). Am I lucky? I probably am.