Have you been waiting patiently for the Wii U firmware version 5 update? You do not have to wait any longer. If you head to your system settings, and download the update, you will soon benefit from 5.0.0 U. This update brings the Quick Start Menu and GamePad Alerts. It also changes the standby functions, Wii U menu, system settings, and Home menu. There are also some overall system improvements and stability enhancements.
Check out the full details (below the photos), straight from Nintendo’s support page.
Version 5.0.0 U, available via an Internet connection, includes the following improvements:
- A Quick Start Menu is now displayed when users presstheGamePad POWER Button or HOME Button to power on the Wii U
- Users can start recently played or newly installed software directly from the Quick Start Menu *1
- WiiUGamePad Alerts (special notifications from Nintendo)can be displayed ontheGamePad when the WiiUis powered down
- Users will be notified with an audio ringtone when a new GamePad Alert is displayed
- GamePad Alerts that have been received can also be viewed through the Quick Start Menu*2
Changes to Standby Functions:
- System updates will now automatically install after download when the Wii U is in Standby
Changes to the Wii U Menu:
- The User Settings screen now displays when users select their User Mii from the Wii U Menu
- The design and layout of the Users Settingsscreenhas been updated
- This includes the ability to switch the active user from the User Settings screen
Changes to System Settings:
- Quick Start Menuoptionshave been added to Power Settings
- Wii U GamePad Alert options are located within the Quick Start Menu options
Changes to the HOME Menu
- A Notification icon is now available on the HOME Menu, allowing users to launch the Notifications feature from the HOME Menu
Improvements to system stability and usability:
- Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
(*1) The Quick Start Menu is only displayed when the Wii U GamePad POWER or HOME Buttons are pressed. Other controllers, such as the Wii Remote Plus and Wii U Pro Controller, will continue to power on the Wii U
(*2) Wii U GamePad Alerts are different from the notifications received via the Wii U Notifications feature. Wii U GamePad Alerts settings can be changed via Power Settings located in System Settings.
June 3, 2014 13:00 UTC
Nintendo News: New Wii U System Update Adds GamePad Quick Start Feature
REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– A new system update is now available for Nintendo’s Wii U home console, introducing changes that enhance the user experience. The most notable change is the addition of a Quick Start Menu for the Wii U GamePad controller. After the update has been downloaded, users starting Wii U with the GamePad controller can view the Quick Start Menu, which displays the icons of the 10 most-used games and applications as the system starts up. Users can then select the game or software they want to launch and it will load simultaneously during the Wii U start-up sequence.
Some additional changes include:
- An improved user setting and selection experience.
- System updates can now be downloaded and installed when the Wii U console is in standby mode.
- Full-screen alerts and notifications can be displayed on the GamePad controller, even if the system is in standby mode. These notifications will tell Wii U owners about new updates, game releases and promotions from Nintendo. Users can adjust how they receive these notifications.
- Easier Nintendo Network ID setup for new users.
- Notifications can now be accessed from the Home Menu as well as the Wii U Menu.
For more information about the system update, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/system-update.
[PR Email from Nintendo of America]
POST UPDATE (June 3, 2014): We have now added the press release from Nintendo of America.