During the Treehouse Live event at E3 2014, they provided an in-depth look at Mario Maker. Here are a few bits of information they shared:
- Inspired by Mario Paint. You can see this in the art style of the level editor.
- New mushroom creates skinny, tall Mario, which initially was the result of a bug.
- Can switch between 8-Bit Super Mario Bros. style art and HD New Super Mario Bros. art with the tap of a button.
- Editor allows you to create new elements not available in Mario games (i.e. wings on a Piranha Plant).
- Can go into any level and edit it. If you cannot make it through a level, you can make it easier.
- When you go into the editor after playing a level, you will see a trail of your progress. This allows you to change an element to fit better. For example, if you fall short of making a jump, you can place a block exactly where you need it.
Check out more live coverage from the Treehouse all throughout E3 2014.